The Jackson at Woodlawn Park
Located just south of the University of Chicago on the South Side, the Jackson at Woodlawn Park was the first POAH development in Chicago. Woodlawn Park consists of a variety of distinctive structures combining residential, commercial and recreational uses that have made the South Cottage Grove corridor the center of a healthy new community.The Jackson Is a 67-unit development mixed-income affordable housing building that includes one-, two and three-bedroom apartments.
The building’s amenities include laundry facilities, a computer lab, a meeting room and community kitchen, a playground, ample landscaping and private townhome entrances for the three-bedroom apartments in the building. Seven of the units in the building are leased to market-rate households. As with all the units at Woodlawn Park, the residents of the Jackson are connected to the resources and services at the Woodlawn Resource Center.
The property is certified at the Platinum level in the LEED for Homes program, and has twenty solar thermal panels on each roof that offset more than half of the energy to produce the building’s hot water. All storm water is retained onsite in a series of rain gardens with native plantings.
In 2011, the City, in partnership with POAH, received $30.5 million as one of the first recipients of a HUD Choice Neighborhoods Initiative grant to support new and renovated housing, as well as programs and services for Woodlawn residents, broader investment in community schools, public safety, infrastructure and job training.
6227 South Cottage Grove Avenue
6230 South Cottage Grove Avenue
- City of Chicago
- Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA)
- Local Initiative Support Corporation (LISC)
- Affordable Housing Trust
- JP Morgan Chase
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation
- Center for Neighborhood Technology
- Bellwether Enterprise
Awards and Accolades
- HUD Choice grant of $30.5 million
- Vision Award, Urban Land Institute Chicago
- LEED Platinum certification
- Residential Energy Efficiency Award, State and Local Energy Report
- Green Infrastructure Grant from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)